Deep Breath

After celebrating my mum’s birthday earlier this week, I’ve returned to Aberystwyth with my sister before she continues her journey back to Belfast. It’s scary to think I pretty much only have a month left here. Well, not exactly, I have chosen to do a Masters here so I’m not leaving but its the end of my degree, many friends will be leaving. I still remember vividly my first day moving into Aber. Time flies when you’re having fun but hopefully this last month won’t go too fast.

I have finally decided on titles for my paintings (captions have been added to past posts), as quotes from friends in conversation on/near the seafront. They are odd and not related to the picture they are titling but that’s part of the point. The landscapes represent memories of the place, the titles are the people I’ve met here. So these are the possible exhibition pieces;
Learn to Hop
They Make Everything Better
I Have a New Escape Plan
Don’t Kill My Vibe
She Laughed First


Here’s my card

So whilst home for the Easter break, I sorted out my business cards. Took a while to sort out what I actually want them to look like, got many people’s opinions on fonts and stuff. I even had a home friend offer to help me with them but this came after I placed the order. Luckily I was happy with the design anyway. So whilst I’ve gone to visit my SO for a couple of days, the cards arrived. You can tell my mum is excited by the prospect of me getting commissions as she straight away opened the box and gave one to the post lady and herself. Apparently if I can do dogs, I already have a commission so it’s something I will look into after the exhibition and assessment. A summer task.


Photos to look like paintings

Photo paintings series, 2017, Digital editing, 15cm x 15cm (each)

This week has been a mix between playing with the order of my paintings and which of those will go into the exhibition and editing photographs I have taken over the last few weeks to look like my paintings. A kind of stylised filter effect. I edited 11 photos in total and had them printed on a decent printer and photo paper ready for portfolio or exhibition (I don’t think they will work in it), it’s part of an extra 10 credits for the module. I think they work well. I don’t want to display them with the paintings though because the idea of these is to make photos look like my paintings not that my paintings are to look like these photos and I feel people will get the wrong message. We’ll see though, it’s all up for debate.

It’s a no from me

“Okay, I’m going to fix the painting started last week.”
Well, it was a nice idea as I walked into the studios at the beginning of the  week. I kind of forgot that having left it for just under a week, thin layer of oil paint and an absorbent surface meant it was completely dry when I got to it. I didn’t have the energy to repaint the whole scene nor an image I really wanted to do for a complete paint over. Can’t say I didn’t stare at it for a while like it would change on its own. I actually tried using dish soap on a section to see if that had any affect on the paint. I don’t know why I thought it would work. It didn’t.

An abandoned painting

I decided to do a light grey/purple coloured wash over the entire painting to try to get the misty effect another way than blending. I then dribbled turpentine down the board before repeating the wash, just to see what it looked like when using an old technique of mine.

I have definitely stepped back from trying to make it work since knowing it’s not necessary for me to have an extra painting. It’ll be a board for another project I guess.